Pop Culture Roundup for May 16 to 23: Of Persuaders, Equalizers, and More

by Karen A. Romanko

This latest roundup has a distinctly British flair, with UK series such as The Persuaders and Father Brown, and British actors like Edward Woodward and Glenda Jackson. Grab yourself a “cuppa” and dig in!

May 16: Who remembers The Persuaders, a one-season UK series that ran in the US from 1971-72? It starred those handsome devils Roger Moore and Tony Curtis as a couple of rich dudes with plenty of time on their hands, who solve crimes to correct miscarriages of justice. I recently picked up the DVD. (Amazon prime also has it for a fee). I’ve watched three episodes so far. The first one was too broad for my taste, but the next two have shown improvement. Photo on the top right shows Roger Moore with Sinead Cusack, who guest starred in the third episode, “Take Seven.”

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1MpWMMtr8kYKqEtcmsFeDhddh0M88--t4
May 17: Another great find for my book in progress, Historical Women on Scripted Television (McFarland). 1972 press photo of Glenda Jackson as Queen Elizabeth I in Elizabeth R. So, historical fashion experts, is the flowery thing a reticule or a bouquet?
https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1q31fbd-buoiFqRgdHMaTyBE-hgCqRld0
May 18: Top photo: interior of a bookmobile, probably late 1960s, based on the woman’s styling. We had a public library just across the street from our apartment, so I’ve only been inside a bookmobile once. What a great invention! The photo reminded me that there is a Father Brown episode where the mystery involves a mobile library, “The Lepidopterist’s Companion” (2017). Mark Williams as the crime-solving cleric in the bottom photo.
https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1o5PqUO-1R8uhTbHMvmNMRdUig4rEhemE
May 20: It was never my intention to start watching two versions of The Equalizer at the same time. It just turned out that way. In January, I was searching for a classic TV series to add to my (where will I put it all) DVD collection, and decided on The Equalizer (1985-1989), a show I had watched irregularly in reruns. Not more than a week later, I heard that a new version was coming, and Bob and I decided to give that one a try together. I’m the opposite of a binge-watcher, so I’ve seen only 10 eps of the earlier series and six of the later. I do love the casting of Edward Woodward in the 80s series, so intense, and against type. We lived in New York during the 80s, so the nostalgia value is also high. Queen Latifah is a more cheerful equalizer, and it does bother me that her character is doing all this dangerous stuff in the same city where she has a daughter at home, but there have been a couple of strong episodes, including “The Room Where It Happens,” with a strong #metoo statement. Latifah’s Equalizer has been renewed for a second season, so her equalizing will continue as will mine.

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=18Z91fGTucuoBSlh3wHA__sm9djYCQ4nA

May 21: Another photo find for my book in progress, Historical Women on Scripted Television (McFarland). This is Eleanor Roosevelt as portrayed by which actress? Bonus points for naming the TV presentation.

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=18w0AT7Tg9VL7A8F74Www0-1Q0kJCi4wZ

May 23: It's 1967. Your friend is going to give you a framed photo of one of your teen idols as a gift, but you've got to choose ONE. Will it be (clockwise from top left) Davy Jones of the Monkees, Dino Martin Jr. of Dino, Desi, and Billy, Sajid Khan of Maya, or Luke Halpin of Flipper? Fun memories of a time when I had photos plastered all over my bedroom walls.

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1Xe3R7QzxCKruHhIS5imCicOmvMnLvjCv

Please share your comments below or connect with me on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram.




Television's Female Spies and Crimefighters and Women of Science Fiction and Fantasy Television
 On sale now!


Comments