Pop Culture Roundup for November 1-22: Vampires, Nuns, and Spies, Oh, My!

by Karen A. Romanko

Back again to round up my recent pop culture posts from social media. The roundup is more wobbly than usual on this outing, with handsome vampires, drunk historians, and unconventional nuns shaking things up. Take extra care when exiting!

November 1: A couple of vampire detectives, one a cop and one a private investigator. On the left, Nicholas Knight (Geraint Wyn Davies) of Forever Knight (1992-1996, 70 episodes, Canada/West Germany), a detective for the Toronto police department, who uses his supernatural powers for good after centuries of bloodthirsty sins. On the right, Mick St. John (Alex O’Loughlin) of Moonlight (2007-2008, 16 episodes, USA), a Los Angeles private detective with a bloody little secret and an (un)deadly connection to an Internet reporter (Sophia Myles). Which did you watch? Which did you like?

November 7: Female TV crimefighter of the day! Sandra Pullman of New Tricks (2003–2015, 107 episodes, UK). After shooting a dog during a hostage rescue, Sandra Pullman (Amanda Redman), a forty-something Detective Superintendent, is assigned to a new and underfunded unit, the Unsolved Crime and Open Case Squad (UCOS). Ambitious Sandra isn’t happy about moving down the career ladder, but she sets about assembling a squad of retired cops and quickly has her hands full with old police dogs Brian Lane (Alun Armstrong), Gerry Standing (Dennis Waterman), and Jack Halford (James Bolam). I have the complete series, 12 seasons, on DVD and give my highest recommendation to the antics of Sandra and her “boys”!

November 10: My pace gets ever slower, but I have reached 35,000 words on my book in progress, Historical Women on Scripted Television. I just finished the entry for Peggy Shippen, Benedict Arnold’s wife, who may have instigated his treachery. It’s always fun to find laugh-out-loud moments while doing research, as when Peggy (Winona Ryder) exclaims during the Drunk History episode “Philadelphia” (2014): “I love being a spy. This is so great, because I love drama.” Well, I guess that clears up Peggy’s motivations for us! Ms. Ryder as Peggy below.

November 11: Female TV crimefighter of the day! Sister Stephanie “Steve” Oskowski of Father Dowling Mysteries (1987-1991, 44 episodes, USA). Possibly the most unlikely amateur detective ever to grace the small screen, Sister Steve (Tracy Nelson) works with Father Frank Dowling (Tom Bosley) of St. Michael’s Parish in Chicago to solve murders before the police have a chance. The good sister even goes undercover when needed, posing as an aerobics instructor, an expert card dealer, a flashy bartender, or even (the scandal!) a woman of ill repute. I didn’t expect much when I watched this series while researching my book Television's Female Spies and Crimefighters, but Tracy Nelson made Steve a spunky original. Below, Sister Steve on the left and undercover as a model on the right in the episode “The Woman Scorned Mystery.”

November 14: The first episode of Scarecrow and Mrs. King is called “The First Time,” and this post also deals with a couple of first times. This is the first time I have scanned the photo below, although I’ve had it for nine years. I got it when I met Bruce Boxleitner for the first time at a local convention. He had lots of photos from Tron and Babylon 5, but I immediately wanted the one from SMK, one of my favorite series. “Love Bruce Boxleitner.” You’re never too old or too married to squee!

November 16: Here’s a 1976 print ad for an Ontario TV station, which features lots of 70s detective shows: Police Woman, Starsky & Hutch, Baretta, Most Wanted, Charlie’s Angels, and Hawaii Five-O. Who is that supposed to be for Charlie's Angels? It doesn’t look like any of them, as though the illustrator depicted a generic pretty girl. Maybe a little like Kate, but wrong hair. Everyone else is at least recognizable.

November 17: Remembering Roy Fitzgerald a.k.a. Rock Hudson, who was born on this day in 1925. A few of my favorite photos. Forever missed.

November 19: One of the things I love about Ms. Fisher's Modern Murder Mysteries is its cool 60s vibe, with fashions, music, and story themes all playing a part. Last night we watched “Coop de Grâce” (2021), and highlights included a spyfi plot, Peregrine's Mondrian-inspired dress, and the perfectly placed song “Different Drum” by the Stone Poneys with Linda Ronstadt. Below Peregrine Fisher (Geraldine Hakewill) in the aforementioned dress with James Steed (Joel Jackson).

November 21: Some of the costumes and disguises of Sebastian Brudenell (Patrick Walshe McBride) on Shakespeare & Hathaway.

November 22: The perennial question on TV-related Facebook groups is, “where is that streaming?” Since I write books about television, I have a big DVD collection and recommend most shows from there, so I can’t answer the streaming question without doing research. But you can do your own research by googling the name of the TV series or using an app such as “JustWatch” or “Reelgood,” which is the one I have on my phone. Below is what I find, for example, when I search, “Agatha Christie’s Marple” on Reelgood. On the left we see program information for the series, and on the right the services where it is streaming, the number of seasons offered, and whether it is available via subscription or purchase. Bear in mind, though, that streaming services change their offerings in the blink of an eye, so recent changes may not be reflected here or on Google. I hope this info is helpful to some.

Please share your comments below or connect with me on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram.

Enjoyed this post? Never miss out on future posts by subscribing to this blog via Subscribe.

Last, but not least, please check out my books about women and television from McFarland Publishers, available in trade paperback and Kindle editions at Amazon:

Television's Female Spies and Crimefighters and Women of Science Fiction and Fantasy Television
 On sale now!

Comments