Pop Culture Roundup for June 1-8: Teen Mags, Bloopers, Stars, and Cars

by Karen A. Romanko

Happy June! This installment of Pop Culture Roundup finds the wayback machine bouncing between the 60s, 70s, and 80s, as usual, focusing on trends like teen mags and TV bloopers, stars like Rock Hudson and Tom Jones, and the restoration of an iconic television car. Fasten your seat belt! Time travel is fun but can be dizzying!

June 2: During my youth, 16 Magazine was my go-to source for teen idol info and pix. While researching another post, I came across Dig magazine, which I had never heard of, or at least don’t remember. Here are a few covers I found. Clockwise from top left: Elvis, looking broodingly gorgeous. The Beatles trading in their mod suits for Elizabethan gear. Richard Chamberlain, from whom one can “win an operation” in his Dr. Kildare persona. (I’m not sure I want to know what that means.) And pre-Psycho Anthony Perkins looking scrubbed and adorable. Anyone remember this magazine?

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1ZVWmAipresGmVkF8sYosWqxiIFlHB8D3

June 2: Someone asked whether Tony Dow was considered a teen idol in the Leave It To Beaver days. I was a little too young to assess that at the time, but a little googling for Tony’s name and teen magazines brought up some covers. I made a little collage. Look how dreamy...

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1vOwto5KDDCvLMcdsRxJtT5D6NK_z4XDX

June 4: Boy, did this make me laugh. I found it accidentally. Some adorable bloopers from Rock Hudson on McMillan & Wife.

June 5: My friend in the UK just sent me this photo from today‘s Daily Express. Terry’s Capri from Minder has been restored after a fire! I wouldn’t have imagined that car would still be alive and kicking! Such classic opening titles for the series, with Terry’s purchase of the car from Arthur front and center, as Dennis sings the Minder theme song. My first car was a Capri, so even more special!

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1vQkgClTTQFcwOnfg0PNGzEC2h5UfgjbY

June 6: While watching the Get Smart ep "Pussycats Galore" (1967), I recognized Angelique Pettyjohn as the drill thrall from the Star Trek episode "The Gamesters of Triskelion” (right). Pettyjohn, credited as Angelique, appeared twice on Get Smart as male CONTROL agent Charlie Watkins, who was such a master of disguise that he could go undercover as a waitress at the Pussycat Club (left). Some of her other TV credits include Mr. Terrific, The Felony Squad, and The Girl from U.N.C.L.E.

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1lWQM8MhbBaiFqunALItvXFJuec26PQA-

June 8: Happy Birthday to Tom Jones, who is 81 today! (Well, today-ish.) Bob and I saw him in Tahoe, 1992, and he was magnificent. Here he is on Ed Sullivan‘s really big “shew,” singing a clipped version of his signature “It’s Not Unusual.”

Please share your comments below or connect with me on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram.

Enjoyed this post? Never miss out on future posts by subscribing to this blog via Subscribe.


Television's Female Spies and Crimefighters and Women of Science Fiction and Fantasy Television
 On sale now!

Comments

  1. Well what a whirlwind tour that was. Here in the UK my go to mag for teen idol gossip was Look In. I got to read it for free because I worked as a paper girl. I've never heard of any of the American ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had never heard of Look In until last week. 16 Magazine was the most popular here, although it catered to girls younger than 16. By the time you were dating, you were too old for it.

      Delete

Post a Comment